Meghalaya State Rural Livelihood Society (MSRLS)
As per the guidelines of NRLM, the Government of Meghalaya has formed a state society in the name - Meghalaya State Rural Livelihoods Society (MSRLS). The society is registered under the Meghalaya Society Registration Act XII of 1983 and was designated as the Nodal Agency for implementing NRLM in the state. The basic purpose of forming this society is to put in place a dedicated and sensitive support structure from the State level down to the sub-district level which will focus on building strong and self-managed institution of the poor at different levels. This will provide the poor a platform for collective action based on self-help and mutual cooperation, build linkages with mainstream financial institutions and Government departments to address the multi-faceted dimensions of rural poverty.
To emerge as the specialized agency for redressing poverty in the rural areas by focusing on the livelihoods of the poor and vulnerable and thereby empower them. To bring about convergence among all poverty reduction and empowerment programmes in the state sector as also the non-state sector.
The Society will be initially responsible for managing the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) or any other project (s) which the State Government may entrust in the whole state.
Objectives of the Society:
The Society shall function as the apex implementing and coordinating organization for the NRLM as implemented in the State of Meghalaya.
- To assess and inventories the rural livelihoods options of the State’s rural poor and evolve specific strategies against each one of these options.
- To eliminate poverty among the rural people by improving their capacities and opportunities to participate in their own development.
- To make necessary interventions to create and empower active and affinity based groups of the rural poor.
- To make necessary interventions to create income security opportunities for the rural poor.
- To strengthen the village institutions so that they collaborate with, and influence the democratic institutions, to become more inclusive, accountable and effective.
- To bring about coordination, convergence and synergy among the various poverty alleviation programmes of the State and Central Governments with a view to accelerating the process of elimination of rural poverty in the State.
For more information visit http://msrls.nic.in